By Marie Relucio
CFC SFL Fulltime Worker
It was June 1995 when I graduated from an SFC Christian Life Program. It has been 16 years, praise God! As CFC-FFL celebrates its 30th Anniversary, I begin my 17th year in community. I have every reason to be thankful to the Lord for sending all those people who shared their time, talent and treasure so that I can learn the things that really count in life:
These are 16 things I learned the past 16 years:
- Prayer works. Always.
- Everything is grace. None of these is ours. So, learn to share.
- The best way to assure yourself of a good day is to begin and end the day with God in mind.
- You defend the faith when you defend family and life.
- The one language that people understand everywhere in the world is LOVE. You can go on mission anywhere carrying only that.
- I am His.
- Do the right thing, even if you don’t feel like doing it. There’s greater love in that.
- Don’t anticipate everything. Leave room for God to surprise you.
- If you want to witness and experience a miracle, go to daily Mass, receive communion and go to frequent confession.
- Truth is freedom. So, be honest.
- If you don’t know how to do something, that doesn’t mean you cannot do it. If you cannot do it, then you cannot preach it.
- The best way to hear God is to shut up.
- The only sure guide is God’s Word. So read the Bible with the highest reverence, and “always read the text in context”.
- Give others a chance. God has been very patient with you.
- I will not have everything I want, but I will always have everything I need.
- If it is the will of the Lord, so be it.
The past 16 years have been the best years of my life, and the good news is this: It ain’t over yet! I have reason to hope for greater things because God promised me that, and He is faithful to fulfill His promises.
In response to God’s goodness, I want to do only great things for Him … or maybe even just small things but with great love in doing them. In ten years, when CFC-FFL turns 40, our country will celebrate 500 years of Catholicism. I want to be a part of that by doing something for God and for the faith of my country these next ten years. I pray many will want to do the same, for the love of God. If we will only say, think and do all things for the love of Him who loved us first, then it will be heaven on earth.